French Ways to Eat for Pleasure and Good Health:Local Markets
Think Global, Eat Local. Great expression, Great movement. Why not include supporting your local markets to help think globally? Eating for pleasure and good health needs to include an endorsement on efforts to eat as local as possible either through growing food in your own garden or buying from the farmers market. French ways to eat for pleasure and good healthdo include this fourteenth way on the list for healthy eating, by visiting and buying produce and food products from local markets. Markets are a a big part of French life, as well as they are in other Western European countries.
Benefits from choosing foods from your local market
- Support for local farmers, merchants and businesses
- Less travel time for produce to your plate, better for environment
- Food is fresher and picked when it is ready to be harvested
- Interaction between you and the local farmers to know what pest control they use
- You and your children know where your food is coming from
- Thinking locally and acting globally!
Markets shouldn’t be a dying trend with the times. Support markets, visit them, buy from them. When you are sitting down to a delicious meal, all picked within a half hour from your table you will appreciate this gest! Bon Appetit!